Finding the best home pizza oven is easy, once you know what features to look for and which features you don’t need. Owning a good home pizza oven is great especially in the summer when you’ll be able to make a pizza without heating up the entire house with your oven. In this article I’ll examine what features are available on today’s counter top pizza ovens and what they really mean to you, then we’ll look at the top 3 home pizza ovens on the market and how they differ. By the time we’re finished you’ll easily be able to choose the best home pizza oven that fits your needs perfectly.
What features should you look for when shopping for the best home pizza oven?
Lets take a look at some of the features you should look for when shopping for a new indoor pizza oven. Of course not all features will be important to you so we’ll discuss why each one should be considered or ignored.
- First off, and possible the most important thing to look for is operating temperature. Fresh, homemade pizza needs to be cooked at blistering hot temperatures so make sure you look for a pizza oven that can hit at least 400 degrees, more would of course be better. For frozen pizza however, this isn’t as important. On a side note, most standard toaster ovens have a hard time getting this hot, another reason a dedicated home pizza oven is a good investment.
- Since home pizza ovens are generally quite large, I suggest the ability to multitask is important. To be able to use the unit as a standard toaster oven is a big plus, so look for the ability to adjust the temperature settings, not just on/off. A toast setting would be good too, you know, to make toast.
- Make sure the pizza oven has a depth of at least 12 inches as almost all frozen pizzas are this size. Not being able to fit standard pizzas would make the pizza oven useless.
- Normally, for appliances, I would suggest stainless steel. Because of the higher operating temperatures, however, I recommend plastic for the finish as it doesn’t get as hot and cools much quicker.
- If kids will be using the home pizza oven I absolutely recommend getting one with an auto off feature or a timer. As we all know kids are notorious for leaving appliances on and walking away.
- For cleanliness consideration look for a self cleaning feature as well as a removable crumb tray.
What are the most popular home pizza ovens and what are their features
Since we’re talking about home pizza ovens I’ll limit this to under 100 dollars, I think that’s reasonable. There are three main contenders in this price range, each has it’s own advantages and disadvantages.
First the most popular and highest rated on Amazon is the Presto Pizazz pizza oven. Continually highly rated by consumers and rightly so. It makes great pizza. Lets look at the features…
The Presto Pizazz pizza oven
One of the first things you’ll notice is it’s open design. This is great in that it’ll take up much less space than any other home pizza oven out there, not so great if you have kids as the heating elements are exposed.
- Can hit high temperatures to make pizza the right way
- Takes up very little counter space compared to other indoor pizza ovens
- Easy to clean
- Rotating tray ensures pizza is cooked evenly
- Cooking timer shuts off the unit for safety
- Open design not safe for kids
- Not really able to cook anything else, unless it requires high temperatures
- Unable to adjust temperatures, it’s just off or on (you can use upper or lower heating element, or both)
One thing I really love about the Pizazz pizza oven is its open design, you can easily place a fresh pizza on it (not really an issue if you’ll be making frozen pizzas). Good for chicken wings too as it’s easy to clean. It can really heat up your kitchen in the summer though.
Here’s a link so you can check out its reviews…
Sensio Bella 12 inch pizza maker
This is by far the cheapest home pizza maker available that still gets high ratings. This one is also compact and even stores in the upright position. One word about this home pizza oven, it’s simple to use. Great for kids.
- Compact and easy to store
- Nonstick surface makes cleaning very easy
- Very easy to use
- Very inexpensive
- Height of cooking area is small when closed, no multitasking at all with this unit
- No timer or auto off
- Tray does not rotate, so uneven cooking is possible
Once again here’s a link to check out the consumer review.
Wimmeley PizzaDome Portable Italian Brick Pizza Oven
Finally we have the Wimmely pizza dome. It’s unusual here in that it actually can’t make frozen pizzas, it’s strictly for home made pies. If you entertain, however, this one is a must have. You can make up to 6 personal pizzas at a time. I actually own this one and it’s a hit when we have company over.
- Real ‘brick oven’ taste
- Great for parties
- Gets very hot to make pizza the right way in about 7 minutes.
- Not for frozen pizzas or family size
- Not safe for kids
- Harder to clean
- Most expensive of the lot
Not the standard home pizza oven, but great for parties. Here’s a tip, measure out the dough before the party, you really need a very small amount for each personal pizza.
Here’s the link to check this pizza oven out…
So there you have it, three of the best rated, under $100 home pizza ovens. There are more out there of course, but they take up more room and can be quite expensive. I suggest reading the home pizza oven reviews you ‘ll find from those Amazon links as they can be quite helpful in finding the best home pizza oven that fits your needs perfectly.
Filed Under: For the Home