A real coffee aficionado knows that making the best coffee means using freshly ground coffee beans, and they also know that the best way to grind beans is with a conical burr coffee grinder. A burr coffee grinder gives you the most exact control over the size of the grind, which is critical if you want a seriously good cup of coffee. First we’ll look at why a burr coffee grinder is the best way to grind coffee, then we’ll look at some of the features you should be aware of when you’re out to get a great coffee grinder conical burr, and finally I’ll link some examples of the best models on the market today.
Why is a Conical Burr Coffee Grinder the best way to grind coffee
This is a good question, to the untrained eye the grind you get from a blade grinder looks just about the same as the grind you’ll get from conical burr coffee grinders. The fact is they couldn’t be more different. The reason we want a perfect grind is because different coffee machines require different a different size grind to produce the best cup of coffee.
For example, those automatic drip coffee machines are made to drop a certain amount of hot water into the coffee filter, the hole in the filter is designed to allow so much water to come out. The end result is the hot water is exposed to the coffee grind for a set amount of time. This requires a certain size grind to get the best results. If you use a grind that’s too large, the coffee will be weak, if the grind is too small (an espresso grind) the coffee will be to strong (if there is such a thing). In fact, if you go to the store you’ll actually see on those pre ground coffee cans terms like, for “automatic drip coffee machines” or “espresso machine grind”, using the wrong grind will plain and simple make a bad cup of coffee.
So, a simple blade style grinder can’t control the actual size of the grind, you can grind it longer and get more smaller pieces, but you’ll still end up with some big ones, and some that are too small.
A conical burr coffee grinder on the other hand uses two grinding surfaces, you can finely adjust the distance between these two surfaces. The coffee beans are fed in between these surfaces and ground down to an exact size. As you can see using a conical burr coffee grinder is the best way to freshly grind your coffee beans no matter what kind of machine you use.
What features should I look for in a great Conical Burr Coffee Grinder
When you’re out shopping for a Burr style coffee grinder you’ll no doubt see some in the $30 range as well as some costing $100 or even more. The difference is in the features that they offer. Let’s take a look at those now.
- One of the most important features I look for in a great conical burr grinder is the ability to finely adjust the grind size. Some burr coffee grinders only have general settings such as automatic drip, espresso and french press. By being able to finely adjust the grind you can directly control the strength and taste of your coffee. For example, if you want your coffee a bit stronger you can dial the grind a tiny bit finer instead of just adding more coffee beans. To me this is the number one feature I look for.
- The next feature I look for is a removable burr. These need to be cleaned once in a while, after all, beans have oil and oil goes rancid after a while. If you want to consistently get a great cup of coffee you’ll have to clean those grinding burr surfaces.
- A large hopper is nice to have but not absolutely necessary. The deciding factor here is if you’ll be grinding lots of coffee at one time, or just what you’ll be using at that moment. Personally I only grind what I’ll use, but this is personal preference.
- I also like a coffee grinder conical burr that has a good strong motor. A weaker motor may have difficulty grinding lots of coffee beans at one time, again, like above this is more an issue of how much you’ll grind at one time.
- A good solid warranty is a must with conical burr coffee grinders, these are purely mechanical devices and as such can break if overloaded or just used more than normal. Look for a good warranty, and no, a one year warranty isn’t good in my book.
So there you have it, to be honest there really isn’t too much to look for other than the ability to adjust the grind size, easy to clean and a good powerful motor. Check out the warranty too and you’ll do fine. Now let’s take a look at some of the better conical burr coffee grinders available out there. I’m going to go from cheapest to most expensive. Knowing the above information you’ll see why these are the highest rated burr coffee grinders available. Below you’ll find some links to good coffee grinders available on Amazon. One reason I love Amazon is the coffee grinder reviews. Since they are by real consumers who’ve actually spent money on the product and used them for a while I feel they can be more accurate and trustworthy than some paid reviewer who has used the item for just a few days, check them out.
Filed Under: For the Home