Cordless steam irons are relatively new on the market and as such their aren’t too many out there to choose from. If you’re looking for the best cordless electric steam iron it’s important that you know the features available, and what the differences are between a cordless iron and a regular one. In this article I’ll go over the features you should look for in a new iron, then I’ll point out the critical differences found on cordless steam irons and finally I’ll link the highest rated cordless steam iron on the market today.
What are some of the features I should look for on a cordless steam iron
Although we’re talking about cordless irons here the features listed below are common to all household irons. Don’t compromise just because the iron is cordless, it still has to iron your clothes and do it well.
When choosing a new iron it’s important to understand your own personal ironing habits as this will guide you towards an iron better suited for you. For example, if you tend to just iron a few things in the morning before work a cordless electric steam iron with a smaller water tank is good for you. On the other hand if you do all your ironing in one shot you’ll want a large tank. In addition, the amount of power the steam iron has will of course determine how quick is heats up. If you just iron a few things in the morning you’ll want an iron that heats up quick to save time. For the big ironing job on the weekend however, an iron that takes a bit longer to heat up is ok.
- So, with that out of the way our first feature is the water tank, as I mentioned above don’t automatically be turned off by a small tank, this may be ok for you. Also, a few cordless irons now have removable tanks making fill up much easier.
- After the tank size look at the wattage. The more wattage the faster the iron will heat up. 1200 watts is about the average size, more than this and it’ll heat up faster.
- Next look for good, accurate temperature control. You really can ruin a nice shirt by using the wrong temperature so make sure the iron is adjustable.
- Look for a stainless steel, titanium or ceramic sole plate. These are the best materials to make the iron glide over the clothes. Also, the more steam jets the better.
- For ironing dress shirts and other ‘structured’ clothes look for a cordless electric steam iron with a precision tip. This will make it so much easier to iron the sleeves, collar and around the buttons.
- Although just about every cordless steam iron has this check to make sure, I’m talking about spray and steam burst. These are must have features.
- One feature I like to have is self cleaning. Over time calcium will deposit in the steam jets, with a self cleaning feature you can clean the jets out easily.
- Some steam irons have what’s called ‘vertical steam’, this is simply a feature that lets the iron act as a steamer, so you can steam delicate clothes right on the hanger.
- A vital feature is auto-off, make sure there’s an indicator also for extra safety.
Now that we’ve gone over the features you’ll find on all irons let’s go over cordless steam iron specific features.
Considerations specific to cordless electric steam irons
Many people don’t realize this but a cordless steam iron only heats up while it’s on the power base unit. This means you’ll heat up the iron on the base, iron for about 30 seconds or so and return the iron to the base for 20 seconds or so. For most people this is absolutely ok since you’ll iron for a bit, adjust the clothes, and iron some more. The point is you must return the iron to the base unit in about 30 seconds or you’ll have no steam. If this concerns you I suggest you take notice the next time you use a regular steam iron, try to determine how long you actually iron as compared to adjusting the item you’re ironing.
One of the best reasons for getting a cordless steam iron is safety. If you have pets or kids you won’t have to worry about them pulling the hot iron off. With this in mind make sure the base unit has a retractable cord, otherwise that kind of defeats the purpose.
One thing I’ve noticed with cordless steam irons is they tend to have smaller water tanks. If you tend to do lots of ironing at one time look for one with a removable water tank so you can fill the tank while the iron heats up, without this you’ll have to restart the whole heating process once you fill the tank. If this is the case I recommend the Panasonic NI-L70SR.
Now let’s take a look at this highly rated cordless steam iron, compare the notes above with the features of these models and I’m sure you’ll agree this is simply the best cordless electric steam irons available on the market today.
Filed Under: For the Home