For many people shopping for small kitchen electrics consists of nothing more than finding the cheapest one, or perhaps the prettiest one. If you’re out to get the best electric can opener for your money than this is certainly not the way to go about it. Finding the best electric can opener means understanding the features available and the different styles that are out there and using that knowledge to pick the one that fits your needs, and your budget, perfectly. Let’s go over some of the features that you’ll commonly find on today’s electric can openers.
Absolutely make sure the electric can opener your interested in has a removable blade unit. An easy to remove blade will get cleaned more often while one that isn’t will occasionally get wiped off. If you doubt this just take a look at your current electric can opener, chances are you’ll find some dried food somewhere on it, and that’s just full of germs and bacteria that’ll be dumped into the next can you open.
Let’s look at some of the different designs you’ll find when shopping for the best electric can opener
- First off you’ll notice that there are hand held or cordless electric can openers out there. These are lightweight and can easily be stored in a drawer. You will, of course have to charge them occasionally. The only real drawback with these is they are usually underpowered and may have problems with large cans.
- Space saver or under the counter electric can openers are made to be attached to the underside of one of your overhead kitchen cabinets. These are out of the way and are well suited for a kitchen that is lacking in counter space. On the other hand they usually require dedicated wiring and require you to hold the can while it’s being opened.
- Tall, oversize electric can openers are available as well. These are well suited for opening tall, oversize cans. If you open lots of tall cans this model is for you.
When searching for the best electric can opener that fits your needs perfectly getting the right model is paramount to finding the best one.
After you know the type you want, and found some models that have removable, dishwasher safe cutting units let’s look at some of the other features that you may want to consider.
- Auto shut off, this is pretty much standard but if the unit doesn’t say so in the description it probably doesn’t shut off without hitting a switch. Personally I’d be surprised if you encounter a unit without this.
- A good warranty. Being a mechanical device I’d shy away from one year warranties.
- Built in bottle opener and/or knife sharpener. Although a multi-tasker is nice, usually these features are below standard.
- Easy to clean finish. Unless the unit is black I’d stay away from plastic. We’ve all tried to remove grease from plastic so you know what I mean.
- Side opening, these types are more and more common. They open the can from the side and leave no sharp edges. For safety purposes I recommend you look for this features.
When it comes to finding a the best electric can opener that fits your needs, and budget perfectly nothing can help you more than by reading electric can opener reviews. Check out such sites as Consumer Search or Consumer Reports for unbiased electric can opener reviews. They can really help you find the best one.
Filed Under: For the Home