I think it’s safe to say that most people do NOT enjoy doing any form of housecleaning, and vacuuming is no exception. Having the wrong type of vacuum can make an annoying task even more difficult. Here are some things you need to consider when you want to buy the best type of vacuum cleaner.
First off, there are actually three main types of vacuum cleaner. Finding the best vacuum cleaner means choosing the type that works best for you.
- The canister vacuum: This style isn’t as popular as it was years ago but still has it’s place. The canister vacuum is characterized by having the ‘workings’ in a separate canister with the business end separate. Check the photo on the left. This type is great for getting under furniture and other tight spots. In addition, the canister vacuum takes up very little storage space in the bottom of the closet. This type is NOT good for doing stairs though.
- The upright vacuum: This is the most popular style these days, and for good reason. They are generally easy maneuverable (the Dyson Ball style is the best) and relatively light models are available. Hard to get under furniture, and takes up more storage space.
- The third type is the small handheld vacuum; we’re not going to discuss this type as generally these are for very small jobs, not to do whole rooms.
Once you’ve determined the best type of vacuum cleaner that works best for you you’ll need to decide how much suction power you need. Most people seem to believe that the one with the most suction power is the best vacuum cleaner, but believe it or not this isn’t always the case.
Consider these points when looking for the best vacuum cleaner
- If you have lots of area rugs having a very powerful vacuum may actually lift and damage the rug edges.
High power vacuums are also generally more noisy, this may be an issue for some people.
- A more powerful vacuum almost always costs lots more, and weighs more.
- So you see, the best vacuum cleaner isn’t always the most powerful, it depends on your situation.
- Here are some other features to consider when looking for the best vacuum cleaner
- Does the vacuum have bagless dirt storage or does it use a bag. If it uses bags this will add to the cost down the road.
- Does the vacuum have a built in hepa filter? Remember the exhaust air is blowing around dust that it’s picking up off the floor. A built in filter is a nice feature.
- If you have hardwood floors is there a hard floor cleaning attachment? Most vacuums are great on carpeting but terrible on floors. Look for this feature if you have mixed floor surfaces.
- Look for good construction quality and a good warranty.
- When it comes to dirt sensors, dust sensors and the like, well, If I pulled out the vacuum I think I know the floor is dirty, I don’t need a pretty light to tell me that. Do not pay extra for this feature; instead look for a long cord and big dirt storage.
When you’re ready to go out and get the best vacuum cleaner for your money make sure you read vacuum cleaner reviews on sites like Consumer Reports, Consumer Search and even on Amazon. They have vacuum cleaner reviews written by users just like yourself and can really help you find the best vacuum cleaner for your needs.
Filed Under: For the Home