If you’re in the market for a new steam clothes iron it’s important to understand exactly how you’ll use it. There are many places to read clothes iron reviews but what’s important for one person may not be that important for you. When choosing a good steam clothes iron there are some important features to be aware of. In this article I’m going to go over the features available out there as well as what they really mean to you and finally I’ll link some of the best clothes irons available today for you to look at.
What are some of the features I’ll find on the best clothes iron
Now, before going over the features I want to point out that different features weigh more heavily depending on how you’ll use the clothes iron. For example, personally I iron a dress shirt every morning before getting dressed for work. For me a small water tank isn’t a bad thing, it’s actually good, however, I do demand a powerful iron since I want it to get to operating temperature as quickly as possible. So, for me, small water tank is ok but I need an iron with some real wattage so I can finish quickly. On the other hand, if you do all your ironing at one time you’ll want a big water tank, but can stand waiting a few minutes extra for the iron to get to operating temperature. When looking at the features below keep in mind how you’ll actually use the steam clothes iron.
- First off, there’s the water tank. As I said above, the size is more or less dependent on how much ironing you’ll do at one time. Also keep in mind that a smaller tank means a lighter iron and usually a quicker warm up time.
- Next up is wattage, the higher the wattage the faster the steam iron will get to operating temperature, usually higher wattage means higher cost however so weigh this feature with how much waiting time you can endure. The fastest irons will be in the 1200+ watt range.
- One thing I absolutely demand in a good steam clothes iron is an accurate temperature control. I have many different types of clothes each requiring a different heat setting. You can really ruin an item if the iron is too hot so make sure the temp setting is accurate. Sometimes this can be hard to tell by the picture and description of the clothes iron so in this case clothes iron reviews can help you out.
- As far as construction a metal clothes iron will be more durable if dropped, it will of course be heavier. Plastic is ok in this case as long as it’s made well. Sometimes you can get an idea of quality not by price, but by the warranty, better quality usually means longer warranty.
As far as the sole plate (the part that actually touches the clothes) the best clothes irons will use titanium for effortless ironing. Newer models of clothes irons are using ceramic which offers even better performance.
- Look for a spray feature, I don’t know why but this seems to be missing on some new models. I like the ability to spray an area if it’s especially wrinkled.
- If you iron dress shirts and other ‘structured’ garments look for a clothes iron that has what’s called a ‘precision tip’ what this really means is you can get into tight areas and the tip also has steam jets.
- Look for a self cleaning function. If the nozzles get clogged you can clean them with a push of a button. Note: Clean the sole plate with a damp cloth before ironing after self cleaning otherwise you’ll get your clothes stained.
- Some steam clothes irons have a vertical steam option, this allows you to use the iron as if it’s a steamer to unwrinkle garments right on the hanger. A nice feature to have for extremely delicate clothes.
Safety Features you’ll find on the Best Clothes Irons
After looking at all the features available I’m sure you have a good idea of what’s important to you and what isn’t. Now I’m going to briefly touch on some safety features, there aren’t many but they should be considered if you have pets or kids.
- First off an auto off feature is a must, just about every steam iron has this but just make sure.
- Retractable cord. Nothing is more dangerous than a hot iron with the cord hanging off the ironing board, kids and pets love to trip over these. A retractable power cord is a very important safety feature to have.
- And finally, If safety is your number one concern than I highly suggest you consider a cordless steam iron. There are some important issues with these in terms of performance so I suggest you read the article, cordless steam irons to learn more.
And now let’s take a look at some of the best rated steam clothes irons out there. Considering the above features I believe you’ll agree that these are some of the best clothes irons out there.
Filed Under: For the Home